Sunday, April 15, 2012

Forgiveness

I was reminded recently how much we each need forgiveness. Also how grateful I am that forgiveness is available to me. Lastly, that the possibility of forgiveness gives us a brightness of hope.
"Wherefore teach it unto your children, that all men, everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence; for, in the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name, and the name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge, who shall come in the meridian of time." Moses 6:57
Forgiveness requires repentance. Repentance is a process that requires our effort. It is more than just saying sorry. It is the act of confessing and forsaking your sins and living the commandments of God.
"By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins - behold, he will confess them and forsake them" D&C 58:43
"Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of the Lord shall be forgiven." D&C 1:32
I am amazed at the glorious sacrifice that Jesus Christ made so that we all may be able to repent of our sins and be made clean again. At times I can catch myself thinking that I am worthless because I am so dependent on Christ for my salvation. Then I realize I am NOT worthless. I am PRICELESS! Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ value my salvation so much that they were willing to sacrifice for me. Heavenly Father gave His Only Begotten as the ultimate sacrifice. Jesus Christ was willing and made the choice to be the Ultimate Sacrifice that we may repent, be forgiven, and be worthy to live with our Father in Heaven again.
"For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent" D&C 19:16

When we repent of our sins and forsake them, to do them no more, we are blessed with forgiveness. Forgiveness is one of the sweetest gifts available to us. I know that you can feel of the Savior's love without sinning (it is the easier way), but through sinning we learn and grow and gain that love. How much sweeter the peace of Christ tastes after knowing the bitterness of His absence.
"And now, behold, when I thought this [the coming of Jesus Christ], I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more. And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain! Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy." Alma 36:19-21
After repentance comes the "brilliant morning of forgiveness".
"Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more" D&C 58:42
Just as Jesus Christ will forget our sins, we may also experience the fading memory of our past transgressions and our pain will be assuaged. We do not need to be haunted by our past mistakes if we have truly, sincerely, and completely repented and forsaken them. Jesus Christ has paid the price, if we repent, our debt is paid. Glory to God in the Highest! For He has made it possible that we have a Savior to save us from sin that we may live with Him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment