Sunday, September 18, 2011

Music of the Heart

I believe that music is one of the purest ways that the Spirit can communicate with our souls. I think next to that would be poetry. When these two combine to become hymns than something truly spiritual can happen. I say can because my heat and mind to be open to receiving the Spirit in order to feel the message. When a hymn is shared it can be the most powerful way for one human to communicate what they are feeling, with feeling, to another human. I think musicals are so successful because music is a powerful vehicle of communication that can be used in many different ways for good or for evil. I have seen how music being played in a room can affect the mood of everyone in that room and how changing the music can change the mood. This power is best used when music is meant to carry a spiritual message. I mean any message that can not be fully or honestly expressed in any other way. Joy, pain, sorrow, happiness, gratitude, love, etc. all of these feelings are best expressed in song.
"How Can I Be"


 D&C 25:12 "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." The Lord hears our songs and they can be as powerful as prayer unto him when sung in righteousness. I'm glad he doesn't take all our songs as prayers...but there are times when I can only express what I feel to my Father in Heaven and my Savior through song. I have included some links to some songs that I find powerful and moving. Some are hymns from Church hymnbooks and others are just from individual people hoping to express their true spiritual feelings. Sometimes even watching the video can be distracting, try closing your eyes and just listening with your heart.

"His Hands"

For more uplifting music you can visit http://lds.org/churchmusic or 
view the Mormon messages page on YouTube

"I Know That My Redeemer Lives"


"I Am a Child of God"

Keep singing and keep listening for the song of God to enter your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment