Saturday, September 10, 2011

Remember

As the anniversary of 9/11 has been approaching I have been thinking a lot about the last ten years. I have been thinking about the horrible events of that day and of all the aftermath. I think that there were some positive reactions from the nation as a whole because of that day. The country became more unified and I feel like the nation as a whole sought for spiritual comfort and strength. I read an article by Prophet Thomas S. Monson in The Washington Post. (Follow the link, if you wish to read.) I was struck by the truth of his words. This man is truly a prophet of God, but what he says we can all know of its truth. This follows the same thread of thought as my last post about an unsteady heart, but this is on a broader scale as a community and as a nation.
 
I love the United States of American and I feel truly blessed to live here. However, I think that we could all trade in our apple pie for some humble pie. We are not perfect and we are not better than anyone else. Others before us sacrificed to create this country in which we live. We should all continue to work and sacrifice to keep it great. We should also remember that it is "In God We Trust" and that without him we are lost. "One nation, under God indivisible". Those words were written not as separate ideas of "under God" and "indivisible", but as one thought "under God indivisible" because without His guiding hand we will fall apart. 

Now this doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't believe in God can't be a "true American". I believe they can be as long as they continue to respect the freedom of religion as we respect their freedom of non-religion. However, I do think that if we as a nation do not recognize from whose hand all blessings flow that we will continue to falter. 9/11 was a hard slap in the face, a much needed wake up call. It was a terrible tragedy and a day of sorrow and heartbreak. But with sorrow and heartbreak comes joy and healing if we turn to Our Savior and Our Father in Heaven. Their arms are outstretched towards us. They are there for us in good times and in bad, so let us remember God this day and always.

Never Forget


No comments:

Post a Comment